Circulating fake news and making a false claim will land you in jail for 1 year – MHA
New Delhi, Apr 15: Fake news has always been a menace and during these difficult times, it has only added to the difficulties in fighting the coronavirus.
The Ministry of Home Affairs issued guidelines today in which a series of instructions were given about the services to be open and closed. Annexure III on page 11 deals with the Offences and Penalties for violation of lockdown measures.
Fake News Buster
While this Annexure deals with the punishment for obstruction of a government official, it also specifies the punishments for fake news, forwards, claims etc.
Under the subject punishment for false warning, the MHA has said, “whoever makes or circulates a false alarm or warning as to disaster or its severity or magnitude leading to panic, shall on conviction be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to one year or with fine.”
Further, under the subject punishment for false claim, the MHA has said, “whoever knowingly makes a false claim which he knows or has reason to believe to be false for obtaining any relief, assistance, repair, reconstruction or other benefits consequent to disaster from any officer, shall on conviction be punishable with imprisonment for a term that may extend to two years and also with fine.”
- Roche, Cipla Launch Antibody Cocktail Casirivimab and Imdevimab in India. Check Price, Details
- Woman ‘bought by husband’ for Rs 40,000 tries to sell 5-year-old daughter for Rs 500
- Delhi reported 25 dengue cases till May 22, highest in Jan-May period since 2013
- WILL INDIA BLOCK FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM IN 2 DAYS AS NEW IT RULES COME INTO EFFECT?
- DELHI POLICE VISITS TWITTER INDIA OFFICES IN DELHI, GURUGRAM AMID ‘CONGRESS TOOLKIT CONTROVERSY’
(This is an unedited and auto-generated story and may not have modified or edited by Quickclarity news)
stay connected with us! For more updates
LIKE SHARE and SUBSCRIBE
if you like the article information then press the like button, Comments you’re opinions about this article and share it with family and friends on social media platforms
SUSCRIBE Quickclarity news to get latest news updates
Thank you for reading