India’s remaining two ODIs against South Africa in Lucknow and Kolkata have been called off amid the new coronavirus outbreak. Earlier, the Indian Premier League 2020 was also postponed till April 15.
The first ODI in Dharamsala on Thursday was washed out without a ball being bowled. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said they will work with Cricket South Africa (CSA) to reschedule the 3-match ODI series.
“BCCI along with CSA on Friday announced to reschedule the ongoing ODI series in view of the Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) outbreak.,” BCCI said in a press statement.
“Cricket South Africa will visit India at a later date to play 3 One-day Internationals. The BCCI-CSA will jointly work out the revised schedule.”
On Thursday, BCCI had announced the last two ODIs in Lucknow and Kolkata would be played behind closed doors but with the fear of the pandemic growing every day, it was decided to call off the tour.
As of 6 PM on Friday, a total of 81 people had tested positive for coronavirus in India.
This is now the second international cricket series to be called off as Covid-19 fear gripped the world. England’s tour of Sri Lanka was called off and the players were asked to return home instead of playing the two Test matches.
Before the India vs South Africa series got underway, it was decided the players would not shake hands with each other and Bhuvneshwar Kumar said Indian players would not use their saliva to shine the ball.
Besides, BCCI had issued a strict set of guidelines to keep all stakeholders safe.
“They have been informed about the Do’s and Don’ts of personal hygiene including but not limited to:
1. Washing hands with soap & water for a minimum of 20 seconds,
2. Use of hand sanitizers,
3. Covering mouth while sneezing or coughing
4. Reporting to the medical team immediately in case of fever, cough or any illness,
5. Avoid touching face, mouth, nose, and eyes before thoroughly washing hands,
6. Avoid eating out at restaurants where hygiene standards are unknown or compromised,
7. Avoid close contact & interaction with individuals outside the team environment (to avoid cross-infection from unknown individuals). Includes avoiding handshake, handling unknown phones for selfies.
Elsewhere, matches in the English Premier League were postponed till April 4 while Champions League and Europa League games scheduled next week were postponed.
stay connected with us! For more updates
LIKE SHARE and SUBSCRIBE
if you like the article information then press the like button, Comments you’re opinions about this article and share it with family and friends on social media platforms
SUSCRIBE Quickclarity news to get latest news update
Thank you for reading.